Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Season's Sweetenings

So as introduced by the last post, the holiday season is upon us.  Some of my previous post may have had some grinchy undertones. Although I must pride myself on my moral lesson of good thoughts to end with, today I mean to share one of the things I really enjoy about the season.  Baking!

It's great because although I enjoy baking, I never really want to eat much of what I make.  I don't have much of a sweet tooth and almost never eat desserts...but I really love making them for some reason.  I love that they are sweet, they smell great, and you can decorate them.  But the best of all, is sharing my sweet concoctions.  My latest drive is to make these wonderful guinness-chocolate cupcakes.

I found a terrific recipe for this batter which is set up for a cake, but I think cupcakes are so much more cute and convenient for serving to multiple people.  It describes a regular frosting but I use instead a Martha Stewart cream cheese frosting recipe.  I first found these recipes while looking for something to make for my fiance's cousin's graduation. She said she loves chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting so I started with that and tried to find something simple to make at home from scratch, but with a unique edge to it (thus the guinness!).  They must have been good because they were gone within the first 20 minutes of being set out with all the other food, and even my fiance who claims to dislike any sweets was pouting about not getting his own and having to share with me. 

This time around, as I was making them for a holiday party. I wanted to make the frosting green, but I strive to avoid artificial ingredients when possible.  Luckily I still had some matcha green tea in the cabinet and that stuff is pretty potent as a food dye.  I didn't add much because I was nervous about the flavor coming through, but I did achieve a nice pale green color. 


Completed with some festive wrapping paper by Reynolds and gorgeous gold sprinkles, they look great!  For someone else of course, I'm not much for sweets ;) But I certainly can't wait to share these!

No comments:

Post a Comment