Thursday, March 7, 2013

Intuitive Interests

Often, things don't turn out how they seem. The best we can do is to be as prepared as possible.  The fiance and I have been watching quite a lot of Derren Brown shows lately.  If you don't know about this, I fully recommend finding it on Hulu Plus!  Often times his experiments involve showing normal people how they have instinctual (psychic) powers.  The average person is fully capable of amazing things if appropriately prepped to recognize the messages.  And, we return to the theme of preparedness.  Of course the term psychic makes most people cringe. But no one will as easily dismiss instinct. Whatever you want to call it, keeping alert to those feelings can really help.

It's about that time for me to really hit the pavement on the job hunt.  Although I did enjoy my studies, I am starting to realize the job postings for linguists don't exactly match my work.  We were often advised about the misconception that linguists are not inherently multilingual - we analyze a language's structure. (Well someone forgot to tell the world this, resulting in a linguist=translator dichotomy).


So I took a step back.  I really needed to figure out what can be a life move for me.  The question then is not simply "What do I enjoy?" but "What do I enjoy that can be applied toward a lucrative career?"  Here's a moment for regression and instinct.  I have utilized this spring break to think about what I like to do.  At what point in my life have I found it easy to stay up until 3 am because I was just so involved in my project?

Thus, my new interest.  More accurately, a long lost interest that might actually be worth something to the job market today.  I flashed back to the days of MySpace.  I would actually stay up late reading articles and how-to's on HTML and basic web formatting so I could customize my site.  I spent entire Saturdays taking photos, then sat glued to Adobe Photoshop. I watched tutorials and experimented with layers and filters until my eyes burned.  Combine that with the constant advise from my parents' recruiter friend who says, "A degree in computers will land you a job," the positive reactions about this path from the fiance as well as the parents, and I had a brilliant (although fiscally depressing) idea. Today, I just applied for a program in Interactive Media and Web Design.

While the thought of more school is a little exhausting, I suppose it does not send me off track to go for one more degree at 22 years old. Also, my position as a grad assistant payed for most of this last degree, so it's not quite the stretch to take out a loan to pay for some more courses if it will help me establish a solid career that I enjoy. I read through the course list and as long as I turn a blind eye to the price per credit hour, I get butterflies in my stomach at some of the interesting titles and descriptions. Gut, please don't steer me wrong!


No comments:

Post a Comment