Wednesday, August 13, 2014

30 Day Writing Challenge: 12-13

I have too many ideas and pathways going through my mind now, and the writing is definitely coming in bursts between cooperative and not so much. Additionally I am realizing I need to switch to some dialogue at some point and just found my greatest fear - realistic and interesting conversation! I am accustomed to periodically writing short bits, cleverly worded to describe my day, people I meet, or things of the world around me. But to invent true interaction between characters that don't exist is going to be my biggest challenge. Luckily - that's a challenge for another day. (P.S. - paragraph below separated because I haven't decided where I want to put that yet...)

Days 11-12

Listlessly, I cleared out the used linens and poured fresh water into the bowl. I glanced down on the glassy surface as the ripples calmed and caught the eye of a shocking creature. My mind flashed briefly back to the dream, the vision. Nearly like a memory, my mind flashed on gold-flecked, mossy green eyes, then returned to realize the pale face I saw with dull eyes was my own. I had been told of the often harrowing experience that awaits a young woman once the wedding ceremonies ended and thought I had endured as best as could be expected. Yet the pallor and weariness of the face that looked back at me from my vanity told a different story.

Quickly, I thrust my hands into the water, ineffectively banishing the zombie like image and washed. With smoothed hair and my best dress, I pinched my cheeks in vain to bring the color into my face. I laced my boots and made my way down to the kitchen.





The evening’s developments should not be misconstrued as cruel, by any means. Yet I feel as if they should. I was made full aware of what was in store for me. I should be no less than glad at the happy union as was arranged by my family. As is my purpose, my actions and life forthwith should be dedicated to protecting the honor and pride of our lineage. With this ceremony we have wed more than two hands. But I cannot but feel that my actions are not my own, and my success in securing continued promotions for those of my maiden name by means of my new station will leave no room for joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment