Thursday, August 7, 2014

30 Day Writing Challenge: Days 1-7

A friend of mine shared with me the Rebelle Society's 30 Day Writing Challenge last month as something I may be interested in. As our business relationship thus far as included my writing a blog article for her, this was quite fitting and a welcome task.  I have talked with her and others about my interest in writing, and my husband has only all too often heard my rants about wanting to disappear and live in a wooded glen, cozy in my stone cottage with books, paper, and pen. If only there wasn't that pertinent need for food, health care, and other various things that imprison us with the mossy green colored paper balls and chains, which we pretend to be happy to have.

I realized I had a rocky start, and attempt to blame my hectic schedule for the lapses. Granted August will be particularly heavy for me, I took heart in the FAQ's provided by the challenge - a reminder that we never have time.  "Does anyone really? Time is a funny and evasive bastard. It’s an illusion, it’s not something you’re supposed to have (or get), but something you ought to MAKE."

So I decided to up the ante. I will attempt to post each day my writings on this blog for the month of August.

First: To catch us up...

Day 1
I walked the streets, shimmering increasingly so from the growing damp. All was dark and silent aside from the steady pace of my own boots on the pavement, striding between areas of light and dark as I passed under the amber glow of street lamps.

Day 2-3: FAILED. (But not really, because I have not given up...)

Day 4
Drifting through life. I have no idea what I am doing. Then again, does anyone? Life is a journey. But I'm strapped in the plane and there's no turning back. Infancy, childhood, and those horribly awkward and stressful adolescent years all worked together, slowly guiding me to my seat. Then I put on my graduation robes, strapped on my seatbelt. I was ushered across a stage and directed to the exit. Assist yourself before helping those around you.In case of emergency, the minor under your seat can be used as a flotation device.
The take off is always the most thrilling. A plan is in motion. The plane is in motion. This may have been years in the making - course plans and itineraries drafted and redrafted. A dream continuously imagined and developing in ways never before anticipated. The kind of dream that sets the scene for an unpredictable and world shattering conclusion.
It started with excitement, as the turbines rumbled and the cabin shook and I was pressed into my seat with the weight of the future. But now I sit, strapped. Trapt. And I realize I am confined to the flight I booked to a destination that I only now come to understand was sorely misunderstood. What if it's not as I researched, planned, and imagined? Well, of course, how could it be?
Ding. The light is on. Where is the attendant? Where is the advisor? I think I need a drink...

Day 5 (Ugh, fail again).

Day 6
Time management is my biggest challenge within the challenge.
Mornings filled with anxiety and pressure of the day to come. Accidentally got a late start (today and everyday) and then feel the need to scurry about, tossing to-do lists, grocery bags, appointments, logging in hours of freelance work, walking the dogs, lesson planning, and running off to teach my evening class. What happened to looking forward, starting new projects and dreams, exploring and adventures? What happened to the hope of school - wondering where you will be next? What happens to curiosity, novelty and excitement?
Days are scattered and nights end too quickly. All to start again. If ignorance is bliss, what happens to the bliss when ignorance is gone?

(And yes, I currently count writing that intro and compiling all of this as my Day 7 :P )

No comments:

Post a Comment