Saturday, August 23, 2014

Writing Challenge: Day 23 - Off-line additions and back to school delays

Schools have begun up again this last week and I found myself, like many, wrapped up and distracted by the preparations and work involved in the drastic routine change (including both roles of student and teacher). I also spent the last weekend away, helping my family move my brother into his first college dorm. I am happy to say, however, that I did use the car trip to get a little bit of writing in and hope the same carries over for my trip next weekend.

Here is what has been added to the story over the last several days.

http://www3.gettysburg.edu/~tshannon/hist106web/site15/HOLLY/public_html/Intro.htm

Just as I should assume on a day like this, the tea was bitter and my porridge showed little more promise. My moment of self-pity was interrupted by an abrupt knock at the door. I willingly abandoned by breakfast, intrigued by the surprise guest.

“Good Morning, Goody Martin! I have brought a gift to warm your new home. I am Goody Smith and I am the lady of the house just across the way, there.”

“Yes, thank you kindly. Please, do come in. I have just had a small bite for breakfast but would be glad to start a new kettle if you should like some tea.” This small woman at my door beamed a smile in response and followed my lead into the house. We only just sat down at the table when she quickly started up again.

“We are so pleased to meet you, the other ladies and myself of the township, that is. In such a small town it is quite exciting to have the opportunity to add to our quaint little group. That is, of course, if you wish to join us.” At this caveat, she leaked a quick smirk. Of course, I would wish to join them. Why shouldn’t I? Why wouldn’t I? What could I possibly have better to do alone that I shouldn’t do with the other woman?

“Oh, it’s great fun. We bring all our sewing and embroidery over to one house, it changes every so often mind you, to be fair. We work on our chores and have the most interesting discussions. The ladies would be most pleased to help you get started in your new life here and are happy to help with whatever you need. Should you have any concerns at all we have quite the range of experience set out amongst us. Why, Goody Rand has been midwife in this town for nearly forty years and seen many children, her own six included, grown into valuable members of the community. Oh we talk about most everything together and are just giddy with excitement at the chance to hear the perspective of someone outside our town.” She just seemed nearly to vibrate with excitement of my novelty. I kept my eyes down, a little bit intimidated by this sort of attention. I set a fresh cup of hot tea in front of her, along with the cream. I smoothed my skirt and sat down in the chair catty-cornered to hers.

“Discussions, you say? I’m glad to have such an enthusiastic support group here. It’s been quite a journey for me and I know there’s plenty for me to learn. I still don’t quite feel like a wife, but only a child in this new place and new life. What sort of things do you discuss together? I should very much like to discuss readings and such. As an only child in my home, and very far from the central town I really only had reading to keep occupied.”
“Oh yes, dear. Don’t you worry. We certainly discuss readings each week. In fact, why don’t you host this week’s meeting? We meet every Monday, so I could let the girls know to come by tomorrow morning. I would arrive a little bit early, of course, to help you set up, being your first time and all.” She grinned as sweetly as possible, as if preparing for something. “Although, if I may suggest... Perhaps I can bring over a little bit of beet juice. My goodness, you look as though you’ve seen a ghost. I hope you know I don’t mean anything by it, being your first day as a married woman I’m sure we all know now we may lose sleep now and then.” She let out a pitiful chuckle. “But for first impressions sake, perhaps a little color here and there might do you good.”

I blanched even more, if possible, at the comment. I knew that I noticed a change in myself this morning. However, I had quite hoped that the hot tea and porridge may have started my blood flowing again. My hands shot up to my face, and I was still quite chilled as well. It was almost as if there simply hadn’t been enough blood there to warm.

I started with a stutter, “Y-y-yes, of course. My goodness, I apologize. I am most grateful at your warm welcome and acceptance, Goody Smith. Thank you, I’d be glad to have you over in the morning. As well as the others.”

“No need to apologize, little one. I’m happy to help! I will leave you to become better acquainted here on your own terms for the day. I shall return in the morning, then.” We rose and I walked her toward the front door, my knuckles still grazing my cheeks, surprised at the lack of flush in embarrassment that usually occurs.

“Until then, my dear.” She passed through to the porch.

“Thank you, Ma’am for your kindness. Until the morning.” I watched her shuffle on down the steps, turn to smile, and continue around the bend. I was unusually tired for so early in the day. Without chores completed, it seems that my nightly transformation into this new world and a single interaction today had double the effect as a whole day helping on the farm. I could only guess at the effect a day spent with strange women in my home would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment